The Hub of South Central Texas
Yoakum is located in South Central Texas, and is centrally located between Austin, Corpus Christi, Houston, and San Antonio. It is uniquely positioned in both DeWitt and Lavaca Counties. Hwy 77-A serves as Yoakum’s major corridor traveling north and south; Hwy 111 serves to connect Yoakum to Hwy 183 and Hwy 77 traveling east and west.
Quality of Place
Yoakum is the starting point of the Chisholm Trail. Yoakum has transformed itself from a place where famous cattle drives began, where tomatoes were the main crop, and where, until recently, was known as the “Land of Leather.”…to a place where there are new horizons because of the infusion of activity in the oilfield and other industries surrounding Yoakum. Yoakum is a slow growth community that offers all the amenities found in larger communities such as good schools, good parks, an airport, library, historical museum, spacious community center, RV parks, etc., yet still maintaining strong home town values.
|History in a Pecan Shell
Early settler John May received a land grant from the Mexican state of Coahuila and Texas in 1835. There was very little history and no community per se until after the Civil War when the area became a gathering point for cattle drives. Longhorn cattle drives became the one immediate source of cash for the devastated Texas economy.
(The Chisholm Trail was the major route for cattle drives to Kansas from 1867 through 1884. Although cattle were herded from as far south as the Rio Grande, Yoakum is considered the first town on the route.
Cheaper than shipping by rail, by the time barbed wire stopped the drives in 1885, more than 5 million head of cattle had been shipped out of Texas. A Post Office Mural in Ogallala, Nebraska commemorates the town’s role as the one-time terminus of the Chisholm Trail.)
|THE ORGANIZATION’S MISSION
|Population: 5,817 Budget: $ 300,000
The Yoakum Economic Development Corporation (Type B) articles of incorporation were filed and approved in 1999. The purpose of the Corporation is to promote Economic Development within the City in order to encourage and enhance employment and the public welfare. Yoakum, Texas lies between Dewitt County and Lavaca County on the north east edge of the Eagle Ford Shale Ridge. The growth within the Eagle Ford combined with a low local property tax rate, a strong existing business community and proximity to the Austin, San Antonio and Houston area, make Yoakum a unique draw for the recruitment and retention of both retail and industry opportunities. As a 4B taxing entity the Yoakum Economic Development Corporation
has a $300,000 annual income and has amassed an operating reserve of $1.5 million to support its work. The YEDC Board of Directors consists of seven directors, who serve for a two year term, as approved by the city council.
The position is focused on development of an economic development campaign that builds upon and maintains existing local business development, pursues the development of business relocation or expansion, and furthers community development initiatives within the trade area of the City of Yoakum. As such, the position is the primary administrative support for the Yoakum Economic Development (Texas Type 4B) Corporation and the City Council in its development and use of all available economic development tools. The position shall be focused on the development and implementation of a detailed annual work plan derived from the YEDC’s Strategic Economic Development Plan and Business Recruitment and Marketing Plan as well as the City’s Strategic Plan. The position will work with advisory boards or committees, and other professionals, both public and private, on a local and statewide level and effectively maintain contact with news media, other City employees, and general public.Primary Duties:
- Develop/coordinate Annual Work Plan to achieve City’s economic development goals and objectives
- Assist and/or develop strategies for small business development and retention of existing City businesses
- Work on state, county, and local level to recruit new business to Yoakum in a variety of fields
- Develop and maintain an active economic development prospect list
- Develop and maintain a current inventory of all industrial and commercial properties
- Seek and secure state and federal grants to aid economic and/or community development
- Ability to perform at a high level of independence
- Seasoned, result oriented professional
- Ability to communicate effectively and persuasively both orally and in writing,
- Skills in preparing and making presentations, in both formal and informal settings to various size groups with diverse backgrounds
- Ability to develop and implement defined short and long range goals of the YEDC and the City of Yoakum
- Ability to work with existing businesses and industry
- Knowledge of Workforce Development
- Build and use Network of Allies to enhance ED efforts in Yoakum
- Ability to utilize available technology to enhance the organization
- Ability to research and implement all available local, regional, state and national economic development tools
- Bachelor’s degree in economic development, public or business administration, marketing, finance, economics, or related field; or five or more years of current and progressive experience in economic or community development.
- Economic Development experience in a rural community.
- Graduate of a Basic Economic Development Course, accredited by the International Economic Development Council. Additional certification and/or course work is a plus. (CEcD, EDFP or PCED encouraged to apply)
- Grant Writing experience is a plus
- Ability to use statistical analysis tools appropriate for the type of research being completed.
- Computer, printer, calculator, fax, copier, multi-line phone system, and other general office equipment.
- Knowledge of common business, governmental, and real estate terminology and practices.
- Knowledge of pertinent federal, state and local laws, codes and regulations relating to economic or community development.
WORK ENVIRONMENT BEHAVIOR REQUIREMENTS
• Rewards those who value knowledge for knowledge’s sake, continuing education and intellectual growth.
• Rewards those who value practical accomplishments, results and rewards for their investments of time, resources and energy.
• Rewards those who value traditions inherent in social structure, rules,
regulations and principles.COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary Range: $80,000 ~ $100,000 Depending on qualifications and experience; Performance based bonus available, Civic Club Membership, Professional Organization Membership, Health insurance, Life insurance coverage, Liability coverage and Retirement benefits (Texas Municipal Retirement System).
Residency within DeWitt or Lavaca counties is preferred in order to become an active participant in the organizations, institutions and activities available within the community.APPLICATION PROCESS
Interested candidates should submit cover letter, current resume and at least five work related references including contact numbers by Monday, February 22 by 5:00 PM.
Finalists will complete a thorough interview and background investigation process to include verification of all credentials and experience. References will not be contacted until mutual interest has been established. Pre-employment drug test, physical exam, and criminal background check is required.
Submit resumes to: Johnson & Associates; c/o Yoakum EDC Search; 8303 Tecumseh Drive, Austin, TX 78753-5745 or Susi@JAToday.com
IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TEXAS PUBLIC INFORMATION ACT, PLEASE NOTE THAT RESUMES MAY BE SUBJECT TO PUBLIC DISCLOSURE.
The City of Yoakum and the Yoakum EDC are Equal Opportunity Employers